Thursday, June 30, 2005

So I haven’t written in this in awhile...

Today was so productive at RTNDA, I felt like dancing, that is until my crappy ass commute home…then I was bitter again, haha.

But anyways, on Tuesday I had written a bunch of stuff for the Newsbreak section of Communicator, including the Chicago street level studio article, blurbs on a listserv for broadcast journalism teachers and a Pew Research study on news preferences, and short summaries of journalism books in the Bookshelf section of Newsbreak. The Chicago story was the one I was most concerned about, because it was the longest thing I had to write compared to the other assignments. I wanted it to be creative, but I didn’t want to leave out important info, or make it seem like I was covering one station more than the other.

Well I finally had her take a look at all the stuff today, and she really likes what I have so far, especially the Chicago article. That made me feel great, considering I’m always overly critical of my writing. I think one thing I need to work on is actually sitting back, reading my stuff, and asking myself why I chose to include the information/quotes/intro, etc. that I did. I kind of realized I need to start doing that after she gave me feedback on that pew research thingy and asked me what the relevance was for putting in the age range of people in the study. I probably should’ve had something behind that like, these are the people that don’t/do watch the news, or whatever that demographic chooses to do with media.

Also, today was a surprise lunch for the RTNDA president, so I scored free food and didn’t have to use any more of my money on overpriced DC food, and that was pretty sweet.

The week in College Park was good, though I kinda wish more of my friends were down here, cause that could’ve made it a little more worthwhile. But I was expecting not to see as many people b/c of course some of my friends don’t even live in Maryland. I was glad to hang out with Lidia and Sarah last Friday; I had missed hanging out and talking with them. We went to see Madagascar at the Beltway Plaza movie theater, which was a cute movie, and then we were in Target for a little while until Sarah’s car stopped being whiny and acted like it wanted to move somewhere, hehe. Then we got slurpees. God I love slurpees, especially when you can mix flavors that will agree with each other.

I think my personal 7-11 nightmare is if no matter which location I went to, the slurpee machine would only have one working flavor: Coca Cola. I’m sorry, but that one repulses me so much, that at that point, it would cease to be 7-11 and instead be called 6-66. Sorry to diss people that actually like that type of slurpee, but….well wait I guess I’m dissing you cause that stuff is disgusting.

Jason and I were lazy as usual, but we did go to Tysons Corner that same weekend, which is gorgeous. It puts all the malls around here to shame (with the exception of Towson Town Center I guess). We also saw The Longest Yard at this beautiful movie theater in Gaithersburg; that whole area was really nice. We were talking while driving through that area, and I think Jason wants to live out there in a few years when he is finally done with school and has a job, and I don’t think I would mind living in that county either. Only, I don’t think I could ever live in Bethesda or Potomac; from what I’ve heard from people that already live there, it would just be like living in Pikesville all over again. Except in Pikesville, there are at least Orthodox Jewish people to balance the presence of snotty Jewish American Princesses/Princes.

Jason also got toaster strudels the day before I had to go back to Baltimore, dang it I really wanted to eat more of those. Oh well.

1 comment:

Akanksha Chaudhary said...

i guess you write really well!!