...because i do have plenty of good news to share later in this post. But because the following events just happened I'm a little down and out...
So I went to room selection today in Stamp's Grand Ballroom around 4pm. My friend Sarah, also one of my apt. mates, brought in proxy forms for our other apt. mates, Lauren and Kat (who both room together in the other double in our apt.) because they couldn't make it to room selection today.
I was sitting with Caryn and Nancy, two freshmen who'll be living in my current room next school year, when Sarah came to me with some bad news. Apparently, reslife never received Lauren's housing agreement, and she isn't guaranteed housing for next semester. Our hearts just fucking sank, because she was in committment group five, like we were, and everyone in group five was guaranteed housing. Only groups six and seven were placed on the waiting list. So if it had went through with out any glitches, she would've been totally fine.
What sucks even more is that we had to tell Kat at the last minute that she was either going to have to find someone to pull into that double, or move into the single being vacated in our apt. Ultimately, she moved into that single, which another apt. mate of ours, Cassie, is leaving. But poor Lauren! I felt so horrible. THEN when I got back from work tonight, I found out that the same exact thing happened to my roomie Grace! So two people in the same apartment got screwed at the same time, and both of them completed their housing agreements. I just pray the both of them can either work something out with reslife, or be able to find an affordable alternative, because they really REALLY screwed them over. GRRRR.
Okay, because I promised the brighter side, I must deliver:
Yesterday, I found out that I am no longer internship-less, and will be interning at this newspaper called The Hill in D.C. Naturally, I was jumping up and down in this room when I found out I got it. All along I wanted to intern in D.C. again and now it looks like I get that chance! Of course I have a slew of papers and forms to fill out from here on out, but I don't care because the biggest weight on my shoulders since this semester started has now been lifted :-) And now, perhaps for what is probably the biggest news of all on campus:
MARYLAND WOMEN'S BBALL TEAM WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!
Not only did they win it all, but they won it all against the Duke women and their behemoth of a basketball player, Alison Bales. I watched the game in 3203 with Shyv, Brie, Kim and Rachel. If anyone reading this watched that game and remembers Toliver's clutch 3-pointer that sent us into overtime, then please know that I almost pissed my pants when she made it, and we started screaming and jumping up and down giving high fives. When it got down to the final seconds in OT, and Duke's last shot fell short we repeated this behavior, and followed that up with putting on our shoes and grabbing our stuff to head down to Route One for some good old-fashioned rioting.
Honestly, I don't think the PG police were expecting us to riot if we won this game, because there was literally no police presence for like 45 minutes. In that time we had taken over the street and students had started two fires, numerous mosh pits, and attempted to overturn a um-shuttle bus. After that failed attempt to turn over the bus, people jumped inside, running up and down the bus aisle. People were climbing on top of the bus, and hanging off the front. It was quite a scene, and I was glad I was there. I wish my camera took better pictures of the whole thing, but it's better than not having the camera out there at all, right?
Today before that evil housing meeting, there was a homecoming pep rally in the ampitheatre outside of Stamp and Nyumburu. There were soooo many people and tv news vans there, it was awesome :-)
So I went to room selection today in Stamp's Grand Ballroom around 4pm. My friend Sarah, also one of my apt. mates, brought in proxy forms for our other apt. mates, Lauren and Kat (who both room together in the other double in our apt.) because they couldn't make it to room selection today.
I was sitting with Caryn and Nancy, two freshmen who'll be living in my current room next school year, when Sarah came to me with some bad news. Apparently, reslife never received Lauren's housing agreement, and she isn't guaranteed housing for next semester. Our hearts just fucking sank, because she was in committment group five, like we were, and everyone in group five was guaranteed housing. Only groups six and seven were placed on the waiting list. So if it had went through with out any glitches, she would've been totally fine.
What sucks even more is that we had to tell Kat at the last minute that she was either going to have to find someone to pull into that double, or move into the single being vacated in our apt. Ultimately, she moved into that single, which another apt. mate of ours, Cassie, is leaving. But poor Lauren! I felt so horrible. THEN when I got back from work tonight, I found out that the same exact thing happened to my roomie Grace! So two people in the same apartment got screwed at the same time, and both of them completed their housing agreements. I just pray the both of them can either work something out with reslife, or be able to find an affordable alternative, because they really REALLY screwed them over. GRRRR.
Okay, because I promised the brighter side, I must deliver:
Yesterday, I found out that I am no longer internship-less, and will be interning at this newspaper called The Hill in D.C. Naturally, I was jumping up and down in this room when I found out I got it. All along I wanted to intern in D.C. again and now it looks like I get that chance! Of course I have a slew of papers and forms to fill out from here on out, but I don't care because the biggest weight on my shoulders since this semester started has now been lifted :-) And now, perhaps for what is probably the biggest news of all on campus:
MARYLAND WOMEN'S BBALL TEAM WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!
Not only did they win it all, but they won it all against the Duke women and their behemoth of a basketball player, Alison Bales. I watched the game in 3203 with Shyv, Brie, Kim and Rachel. If anyone reading this watched that game and remembers Toliver's clutch 3-pointer that sent us into overtime, then please know that I almost pissed my pants when she made it, and we started screaming and jumping up and down giving high fives. When it got down to the final seconds in OT, and Duke's last shot fell short we repeated this behavior, and followed that up with putting on our shoes and grabbing our stuff to head down to Route One for some good old-fashioned rioting.
Honestly, I don't think the PG police were expecting us to riot if we won this game, because there was literally no police presence for like 45 minutes. In that time we had taken over the street and students had started two fires, numerous mosh pits, and attempted to overturn a um-shuttle bus. After that failed attempt to turn over the bus, people jumped inside, running up and down the bus aisle. People were climbing on top of the bus, and hanging off the front. It was quite a scene, and I was glad I was there. I wish my camera took better pictures of the whole thing, but it's better than not having the camera out there at all, right?
Today before that evil housing meeting, there was a homecoming pep rally in the ampitheatre outside of Stamp and Nyumburu. There were soooo many people and tv news vans there, it was awesome :-)

Holliday spoke. Mote spoke. Frese spoke. Harper, Doron and Langhorne spoke. More than half of these people pressed on how important it is we come out to the games. Can you guess which ones out of the six I mentioned said this? Man, I feel like such a half-assed bball fan for not going to more women's games. I've got one more school year to turn this around. With the support of my friends I shall achieve this (I sounded like a recovering drug addict just now).
Ahh, I wanted another riot so badly before I graduated, and I got my wish :-) Maybe another one or two before May '07?? Please? Pretty please? Well maybe I won't get my hopes up too high just yet.
Pictures to appease you are below:
http://umd.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2030939&l=99830&id=5700476
No comments:
Post a Comment